Saturday, August 24, 2013

Common Core

Okay... Common Core... Thoughts? Feelings? I just spent many posts on a Facebook thread defending the teaching profession in general, and common core specifically from someone who clearly had no idea what they were talking about.
My school has been preparing to switch to Common Core for the past 2 years. We have had many trainings and opportunities to plan and incorporate them into our science and social studies units.
One training that I attended recently (on writing) talked about common core peripherally. I was surprised to hear a few teachers who continuously talked about the test and how they needed to change their centers in order to prep for the test. 

My take on the Common Core is that it encourages higher order thinking skills. We shouldn't worry about the test! If we are teaching using best practices, then the kids will do fine on THE TEST...

Just my two cents.... What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment